Sunday, June 4

The last several days took more out of me than I thought. I was the emotional stabble one at home this week. I tend to keep emotions inside anyway, but I'm glad that I was able to help my grandmother get through the toughest part. Now that T is out of school I know that she will not be alone. We tried to keep her busy. We went shopping two different days, put together a 1000 piece puzzle and visited a lot of family. The funeral was beautiful. The flower arrangment on top of the casket was amazing. Great grandma would not have been happy about the cost, but she would have been in awe of the beauty. Perfect for her.

I learned that she was 1 of 10 children. Her mother died at a young age and the youngest sibling at that time was 10. Gg became the mom to some of her siblings. I also learned that she supervised 4H sewing for many years and was even known for making her girls cloths out of feed sack. She didn't hesitate to get dirty working on the farm with great grandpa. She also had a way of making everyone feel important.

The things I remember from her are obviously in her later years. I remember that she had a black marker beside her when she was reading. She loved those romance novels, but didn't like the language or some of the scenes. When she came to one of those parts, she would simply black it out and continue reading as if it wasn't there. I also will remember that her mind was sharp. She was doing a crossword puzzle the day she died!

She did go in her sleep. Her heart finally gave out. The main cause was pnuemonia (sp?).

I am now the only one in the family who knows the dressing receipe for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Not that it is some huge secret, but it was her receipe. I've been making it for the last few years as she hasn't wanted to stand in the kitchen for long amounts of time. The last time she said it tasted just like hers. I only hope that it tastes like that every time I make it.



Things to smile about today:
:) Strong healthy family
:) Strong support system here in BG
:) The biggest blessing ever from my roomie! (coming home to a clean house, even my room!) THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:) hanging out at the ballfield tonight
:) rescue is coming (reference from DCB and Captivating)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home