Monday, September 6

Pain is realitive...

So, I went camping this weekend with two wonderful families in the church. We had a great time. Lots of down time with nothing to do except listen to what surrounded you and be content with nothing to do. This was actually hard for me, as I like to be on the go most of the time. I don't mind down time every now and then, but for three days it was harder than I thought. We played some and took a couple short trips in to town for ice and such, but they were in short snipits and mainly becuase it was to hot outside to do much of anything.

St. Mary's lake is beautiful and I did enjoy the couple of walks to the lakefront. We also played volleyball and colored a lot. And yes, although we were camping, we watched a movie one night.

The most eventful, yet the least exciting thing that happened, was me spraining my ankle. I wasn't shocked that it had happened... it has been three years, I was due, but I was shocked at how embarrased I was. Apparently I have more pride than I thought and that disgusted me. Nonetheless, I did sprain it pretty good and only after having twisted the other ankle earlier in the day. The first ankle (my right) was one of the times I was playing volleyball with Lex... just hitting it back and forth. My right ankle gave out on my and I gently fell (at least in comparrison to the other fall to be told in a little while) and just laughed it off. I went ahead and wrapped it, however, so it would stay strong for the rest of the weekend. It didn't stay wrapped long, because I needed my ace bandage for the other ankle about three hours later.

This time I was coming out of the camper and carrying a glass of water. When I went to step on the ground, I stepped on a portion that was way unlevel and took a bad spill. My left ankle actually cracked. My leg went numb from the knee down almost immediately and I got so sick to my stomach. Everyone was afraid that I had injured myself on the steel steps, but I hadn't touched them at all. I am now convinced that pain is relative. My right ankle felt as if absolutely nothing had happened to it, now. After taking two good minutes just to get into a chair, of which I quickly got out of because the blood was rushing then to my ankle... I did the traditional ice and elevation. I've gone through this process now so many times that I honestly hope that I never have to go through it again.

The amazing part is that I didn't spill the water! Don't ask me how... I don't know.

Oh well. It happens and most likely it will not be the last time. I should probably be on crutches, and if I were to submit to that level of helplessness, this will be the third time for this ankle alone... in the last 10 years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home