Tuesday, October 4

Today was a hard day. The morning was loud, but they were working... for the most part. Then lunch came about. Some of the children lost it. One child was 100% defiant and would not put on his slippers, walk to his table, eat his lunch... anything and everything you asked you couldn't get an answer. I couldn't even get 'no' out of him. He just cried and grunted and basically drove me nuts. This child is also very strong and is a little over weight. I would have taken him to the office way before I actually got him there, but he would let his body go limp in my arms. I literally could not pick him up. Finally, after 20 min. of having to restrain him (yes, that was my weight training for the day... no need to lift tonight) he started screaming that he wanted to go home. So... I manipulated him. :) I told him that if he really wanted to go home, then we needed to call dad and the only way we could call dad was to go to the office. (Deep breath) We finally got to the office and the office staff were a huge help. Needless to say, he was stubborn enough that he wouldn't cooperate in the office and therefore, missed his lunch time. Don't worry, we didn't let him go hungry. As soon as his body was under control and the afternoon demonstrations were over, he went to the snack table and ate his lunch.

To finish off the afternoon, one 5 yr. old boy cried most of the time because he wasn't getting his way (interfering with other chidren's work), another 5 yr. old cried because he knew he had hit his friend and thought he didn't like him anymore (sounds minor, but to this particular child, it is more than he can process at one time and caused an explosion, chair flipping, self-negativity, etc...).

Add those three crying all at once (at some point in time during the afternoon... I forget exactly when) to 1 new child who started yesterday and is doing well given the environment and 23 other children who need to talk louder so they can be heard because the others are crying... and you get a glimpse of my afternoon. :)

Okay, enough venting. I'm really looking forward to tonight. We have group out at the Dilbone's. It will be refreshing to be around adults. :)


Things to smile about today:
:) the smell of jelo when first mixed with boiling water
:) walks at night with a good friend
:) the conclusion of a long day and recognizing at what point in time my nerves ran out and God's kicked in

1 Comments:

Blogger middle aged blogger said...

OK for sure I know well the first boy, think I can guess the second boy who thought he had lost his friend...did you tell his mom the story so she can help his understand that the trantrum will make it more likely he will lose friends?...but I don't know who the child who disturbed work all afternoon is - unless it was the one who toured the new child the day before?

Love you - love the stories - can see (and hear!) the whole thing - hang in there!

05 October, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home