Thursday, September 30

a minnie-me

So last night I had all of these different plans made of things that I wanted to do and accomplish, and not one of them got done. Instead, I was so tired when I came home from work, that I started to take a nap around 5:00p. The nap ended when I heard my roommate come home at 9:30p, at which point in time I thought it was pointless to get up, so I went back to sleep until 7:00a this morning! 14 hours of sleep... It has been forever since I have slept that long. And yes, it is possible and does happen once every few months. It took me until noon today to fully wake up. I feel much better, to say the least.

I just got off the phone with my aunt, who is getting married. Things are going well and I can't believe that the shower is this weekend! I feel like I still need a week or two to plan, but in reality, I don't have that time. I think that I have most everything done. I need to get a few fun items for a game... maybe some small decorations... and I'm sure more last min. stuff that will come up at the last min. :) Nonetheless, I think everything is going smoothly. She invited 55 people!!! I've only heard from 26 of them. Well, not all 26, but a few of them are aunts who I know are coming because they are helping with the food... so I'm pretty sure that there will be at least 26. And then there will be the people who will come even though they did not RSVP. In fact almost 10 of the people that I am now counting did not tell me... they told the bride! People down south crack me up! Sometimes I'm amazed at how differently things can be just 2 hours south... (there is obiously more to this, but I'll leave it be)

So my sister is starting to learn the clarinet. Most likely it is because it was the instrument that I played when I was in band. She also wants to learn the piano... because I play it, and sometimes she'll go up to her room and changed so that she is wearing something similar to me. She is 10 now and really starting to become her own person, and to tell you the truth, it scares me that she wants to be like me so much. Despite the fact that we have different mothers, we look almost exactly alike. In fact, my mom's family are always amazed at how similar her looks are to the way I looked when I was 10. I know that some of our mannerism are different, simply because she is being raised by a different mom who is way different than my mom, but nonetheless, she makes noticable efforts to be like me, more and more.
What's really hard is that I am an 1.5 hours north and only get to see her about once a month, and even then it is only for a few hours. I know that she wishes I would come home more often, but my schedule doesn't allow it. Yes, I choose what is in my schedule, but it's hard to maintain a life up here and still be a big sister down there. We've never lived together, which, in a way, makes things easier. She has only ever known me to live there on some weekends... and even then she was too young to understand what was happening. So, for most of her rememberable childhood, she has known me to live in BG.
The thing I am most thankful of, is that my faith has rubbed off on her. I'm not sure how often she goes now, but for a while she went to church every chance she had with her great grandmother, because that was the only person who would take her. I know that with little prompting, her heart can be guided in the right direction. I am very thankful that God has protected her. Her heart is still easy to work with and has a desire to know more. She just doesn't have an alley for that to happen easily right now.
I fully believe that she will be the one who will lead my dad, stepmom and two brothers to Christ. It saddens me that I will not be the one, but I know that I have lived an example for them. I know because they make comments. Even the negative comments that they through towards me come through a lack of understanding of what it is like to really live. They, well, dad, has made several comments that he would attend our church if he lived closer. So I guess the mission is to find a church back home that is close enough and authenic. The only problem is... I can't go to different churches on Sunday and find one for him and he is to shy and unmotivated to find one himself.
You know... I just remembered that I had given him a Bible for Christmas last year. For a week or two he would call me just to tell me that he had read in it that day. I haven't heard about that in a long while. I think I should start asking again and see if I can get him to read. I know he started in John... I wonder how far he got.

Wow... lots to pray for and think about. I'm in way over my head... it's a good thing God is in control!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home